Thursday, August 6, 2015

Miraflores


Miraf'lores, Lima Perú   ©          WORDS  209              LINES 29       

                                       by Camincha

I come down to the Coast that has the seducing curves of my
morena, who sings, Tamales calientiiiiiitos!!!!!!!! Through
the streets of my city on Saturday nights. And the voice
of my cholo with his eagle–beak nose, skin the color of mud,
my color. My Inca whistles at my door. Sharpens my knives and
       scissors big and small.                          Miraflores.

I come down to the Coast. To blue, green eyes. Full bearded
Europeans. The cafe latte skin of my criollas and criollos. To
flat streets that roll to the ocean. To its white foam. To the heat
of its shade. The tears of its garüa. The corner of La Picaronera.
The callejon next door. The European chalet. The Gardens of
La DiagonaL Ice cream from D'onofrio. The church across
Parque Central. The benches of Alameda Pardo. Sunday's
promenades. The British-Peruvian school, blue uniform, hat,
white shirt, red tie. Ferocious exams. Matinees at the Excelsior:
       The cowboy and the girl. .                             Miraflores.

I come down to the Coast. I take El Expresso to go to Lima, El Urbanito
to El  Mercado Central, to La Tiendecita Blanca where our mothers
bought Chantilly Creme to decorate birthday cakes, and still serves
butifarras, paltas rellenas, tamales, empanadas, humitas. Memories jump
through the intersection of' Larco and Pardo, f'ive blocks in diameter,
with a rainbow of flowers in its center. Walk to Schell St. where my school,
San Jorge, used to be, then to Porta St. that saw my growing up years.
El Terrazas Club still a block away, looking forward to its next Carnavales
Festival. Would you like to dance? sounds in my head. Dance? His
eyes full of  adoration. EI Malecón gives me his cliffs that roll to the
Pacific while the scent of jasmine, dahlias, sweet peas, honeysuckle,
       sweet  narcissus, stalk my steps … Miraflores, my Miraflores.


                                                          END

No comments: