Sunday, April 24, 2011

THE DIET. 3th installment FICTION.


…we who diet have a never ceasing obligation to those who starve––Robert Kennedy

Monday, May 26

Lost another pound. 5 to go.

I’m hungry, Oh! brushing my teeth the mirror tells me my face looks thinner already. Maybe it won’t be so difficult. But after my shower the mirror tells me…work on your stomach, make it flat again. Waist line, take away couple inches. But my thighs are firm and velvety. I run my fingers feeling them…caressing them…I lie on my still unmade bed…. Larry likes my thighs… uhm.

After a meager health-calorie-conscious breakfast started to work on the yard the abundant weeds reminded me of an article on recipes for BOILED DANDELION CROWNS, WILD MINT, WATERCRESS SALAD and ROASTED ROOTS.

Tina called, she’s coming tonight . We met at guitar class. Not everyone likes her. She talks too much for some. Is quite a switch, she talks more than me. I like that, I can relax and just listen for a change.

Tina arrived almost on time, totally unlike her. And tall and skinny Tina told me she is on a diet. Has joined some expensive Health Club. I got worried for she’s just quit a high paying job as Senior Project Analyst and her financial situation is very shaky.

We practiced most of the songs we know. I suggested a break. Tina’s voice took on a very serious tone: I don’t know if I can make it through the summer. My grocery bill is humongous. Arny––her teenage son––eats for four.

But she’s joined a expensive Health Club! Tina went on: they count your fat percent. It is very important to TRIM DOWN MY IMAGE. Nowadays, more important than to BUILD UP MY IMAGE. And that’s what this Health Club offers me.

You look very trim to me Tina.

But I am NOT. Tina’s face contracted in pain. Her eyes opened wide she searched for the proper words through the room. Stopped. She found them: I CAN’T WEAR SLACKS. MY THIGHS ARE PURE FAT.

Tina is crazy! I savor one cookie and fixed myself a cup of café au lait! No sugar. No honey. Tina had turned down my delicious cookies, they have a high level of fat percent, she said. Come on woman, live a little, I say.

FAT, Tina used the word, fat. Is FAT real or imaginary?

Will b with U nxt Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Commincha!
I finally figured how to leave a comment. Diet reads well, but sometimes seems like an abbreviation since you drop pronouns often. This gives it a breathless quality (which may have been what you were going for). It seems to be just a blog rather than serious literature, sort of a diary even. You touch on topics ie thin people who think they are too fat, without going too deeply into them. The piece's best bits are where personality shows through, those breathless feelings which work emotionally but are less effective for a straight naration of facts or events. I would reccomend a mix.
Keep writing! Dirk

camincha said...

Dirk: Thank you 4 taking the time. U hv a keen eye & yes I do drop pronouns, & yes it is a diary. And I appreciate that you encourage me to keep writing. Very, very appreciated. Camincha