Sunday, May 8, 2011

SATIRE. FICTION, THE DIET. 5th installment. Only 3 to go.


…we who diet have a never ceasing obligation to those who starve

Robert Kennedy

Wednesday May 28

3lbs to go.

I looked in the mirror, my dimples! Had forgotten I had them. And my clothes hang better. Making progress. Stress free days help. I’ll continue to skip dinner. Had lots of phone calls. Carmela, Chicana activist will come over tomorrow night. We want to get together before she leaves to help harvest coffee crops in Nicaragua.

Carmela suggested we go out to eat. I didn’t say no, don’t want to hear: YOU DON’T NEED TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT.

Clara also called. We are having dinner together next Thursday evening. She is into advancing her spirituality with exercises, classes. But I'm concerned about her. ‘Cause she’s living with Bob, twenty years older than her, boring, unkept, paunchy, bald, and ‘cause she runs––her own words––after him, like a jealous teen-ager. This amazes me, everyone, and even Bob who watches her wide eyed and parted lips: IS SHE RUNNING, AFTER ME? WHY?

That’s what I say too, why?

I want security, she said.

With Clara there won’t be any eating. She told me with great zest she is on a strict diet, At lunch time, the people in the office bring out their vegetables and we all eat together. Is my only meal of the day. That’s it.

At six I’ll leave for guitar class. If I arrive at Burlingame Rec too early I’ll sit in the car reading How to Slice Inches from your Waistline.

And you, do you feel you need to lose weight?

C U nxt Sunday.

No comments: