Sunday, March 6, 2011

If you ever been lonesome/If you ever been blue/This is for you!

WINE and WHIMSEY. Short Fiction. 2nd installment

...........they were talking. Of immediate necessity is to connect with new faces. A new face equates hope. To some, the only reason for joining organizations like Parents and Friends.

AS THE EVENING gets under way the women hear the same lines over and over: Oh! there you are. Am so glad you came, now my whole week will be a happy one. Another guy, smacking his lips, rolling his eyes bends over a female’s neck and whispers something. When you win the lottery, woman answers as she walks away, laughing, pleased to see the heads that turned to watch the exchange. From the family room is heard, Baby, baby, when are you going to marry me? Come with me to my house in Florida, can be heard from the kitchen. Then a female's giggle while man in hot pursuit, I told you about my house in Florida, didn't I? Woman, Is it big enough for all my five children? Loud laughter from everyone within hearing distance.

Meantime Ana in the dining room is filling her dish from the salad bowls and Bar-B-Q chicken when she crosses paths with Dick. As always pleasant pays her a compliment. Tonight it's her outfit, simply beautiful, he tells her. And pours her a glass of wine.

Ana genuinely appreciative thanks him. When she finds Linda she murmurs, very nice person, but what a slob. He is now on his fourth serving of everything, all twenty or so dishes from salads to desserts on the table, stove top and kitchen counter. Oh! and he smells so bad. She is wishing the sweet slob would take a shower sometime. Perhaps, for once, on a Sunday. And those outfits. Tonight, she tells Linda, is a moss green jacket with a button, KJSS ME I'M IRISH. Baby blue shirt, plaid tie, pink pants. A chain over one hip holds several keys, more than any person could possibly use, rabbit's foot, police whistle, pocket knife.

Linda going round the table, spots Marvin, the sixtieths or so man who lately has exhibited pronounced signs of mental, physical deterioration. His speech is more and more slurred of late, his walking more hesitant. Has trouble concentrating even to recall his phone number. The effort brings drops of perspiration to his forehead. As they pass each other Ana notices he has put on a lot of weight since she saw him last month. Glancing at his plate, raises her eyebrows, pursing her 1ips, No wonder! she.................

Oh! alright what's this about! Are you gonne 'tell us..............

6 comments:

Claudia R said...

So interesting to follow the flow of this gathering...how many installments do you envision?

camincha said...

Claudia R: Thnkx 4 taking the time. There r 3 others. Look forward 2 Ur comments. This is fun.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Camincha, Cindy here. I deleted the first comment I made cuz it sounded like it came from Jeff. Not so. I love what you are doing and how you get deep inside their heads....right to their guts. Keep it going. I am intrigued!

Judith said...

Judith Ray said:
This is REALITY SHOW in words! It describes these kinds of meetings so exactly! We need a new type of club - called the "I have nothing to do but I need someone to make my day". This is humorous, I love any story that makes me laugh - even at myself.

I must stop being critical. Maybe they did go to every other club, and have just given up. Ha- they need to join the "I GAVE UP" club!!!

I am desperately lonely too, as my friends deserted me once I became disabled. I don't fit their style anymore. Even disabled people are choosy about friends, so I work at being a good friend. I have examined if I could be a better friend to others, so they'll like me.

Everyone have a good day, or even a better day. And I hope you find a prince among the frogs at your next meeting.

Judy

camincha said...

Darling Anonymous: Thnkx 4 taking the time. Aha! had I known this was the way 2 hook a good humor guy ––why do I assume, a guy? what, the heck. Anyway...––To answer Ur ??? best I suggest read nxt installments. U won't b disapointed. & pls, Ur thoughts!!!! I look forward 2 knowing what.......?